Welcome to Photo.net: A Community of Photographers

Home > Blog

Photo.net Blog

photos, updates and site news from photo.net

20090217_lores_d10_3q20090217_lores_d10_backcanond10latchJosh’s thoughts:

Saw Canon’s new Powershot D10 waterproof point and shoot camera today. I just spent a few minutes playing with it but overall it looked pretty good. The D10 is a bit larger and rounder than the other waterproof p&s cameras on the market today. I got the feeling that this was done intentionally to be easier to handle underwater (or with ski gloves on). This is backed up by the fact that the D10′s buttons are larger than your average p&s camera.

Anyone who is familiar with recent Canon p&s cameras won’t find anything confusing about the D10′s operation as far as I can tell. The only difference that jumped out at me was that the D10 has two buttons that control zoom instead of a rocker switch. Speaking of the zoom, I was a little disappointed to see that the D10 has a 35-105 equivalent lens. The 105 is fine on the long end, but I would have preferred to see 28 on the wide end. Finally, one very cool feature of the D10 is it has four different “latches” that you can clip straps and lanyards from. This gives a lot of options in terms of how you could strap or hang the camera off your body/bag/kayak/etc. To that end, Canon has a D10 accessory pack that includes three different lanyard/straps, three different faceplates, and a neoprene case.

From the Canon marketing materials:

Consumers looking for an all-around waterproof, freeze proof and shockproof camera should look no further. The Canon PowerShot D10 Digital Camera, a first of its kind for Canon, comes equipped with a 12.1-Megapixel resolution and 3x Optically Stabilized Zoom lens, making it an ideal companion for thrill-seekers of all types. This uniquely styled camera is amazing for capturing high-resolution images and off-camera editing. The PowerShot D10 Digital Camera can withstand depths up-to-33-feet deep, is freeze proof from 14 degrees Fahrenheit and shockproof up-to-four feet. To add a little fun and funky style to this great camera, an optional accessory kit is available containing distinctive accessories, such as a customized strap, cool face plates and a carabineer hook (attached to a strap). The PowerShot D10 IS Digital Camera is scheduled to be available in early May for an estimated retail price of $329.99.

Be Sociable, Share!
  • Facebook
  • Delicious
  • Google Reader

Reader's Comments

1. Andrew Lynn | March 5th, 2009 at 9:55 am

I keep waiting for somebody to make one of these cheap.

2. Ronin Weir | March 5th, 2009 at 12:18 pm

Cool! I was looking at Panasonic’s new DMC-TS1S waterproof point and shoot but didn’t like the fixed wide angle lens. This looks like a good option.

3. Robert Woodward | March 5th, 2009 at 12:44 pm

I predict this will be well received. And then maybe the price will come down a bit.

4. Bill Gerrard | March 5th, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Hmm, might be a cool way to get photos of the kids in the pool underwater.

5. Daniel Uhlig | March 5th, 2009 at 3:21 pm

For my the next point and shoot I want a water proof tough camera. I am glad canon is making one.

6. Rob Smith | March 6th, 2009 at 8:59 pm

Looks wonderful, but I will be waiting for the price to drop a little.

7. Kelly Cannon | March 7th, 2009 at 12:21 am

My wife has her eye on one of these.

8. Jim C | March 1st, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Camera ok so far. $350 in Canada, but to buy a neck strap you must buy whole kit with lots of junk when all you need is the strap for $146. a rip off.

9. Kathleen Baker | January 17th, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Well, I bought this camera for an upcoming trip too the Carribean. I have misplaced the wrist strap and to my surprize, I can’t find one anywhere in the Portland metro area. It’s great that it screws into the camera for security, but to replace it cost well over a hundred dollars and has to be special ordered. I’m not happy that Canon did this to it’s consumers. Why have a product that works well, but can’t buy accessories easily. This is very dissappointing. I feel the design of the camera may be very good, but as far as a wrist attachment, this is a very poor design and I wish I hadn’t bought it with this complication. Not very many Canon dealers sell this camera in this area or it’s accessories.

10. keingkup | November 19th, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Thank you for your knowledge and good things. you gave me.